Sunday, March 29, 2009

Did You Just Compare John Piper to Joel Osteen? [Text Messaging]

I appreciate this question, texted to me during my sermon today.

In making my point on Psalm 1:1-2, that we are to be people of the Word, I did mention Joel Osteen and John Piper (and I think I threw Charles Stanley in there as well).

Here's the text:

1:1 Blessed is the man
who walks not in the counsel of the wicked,
nor stands in the way of sinners,
nor sits in the seat of scoffers;
2 but his delight is in the law of the Lord,
and on his law he meditates day and night.

The point was this:
We are to delight in the Law of the Lord. We are to meditate on it day and night.

The primary source of our devotion and study is to be the Word of God.
Not Bible Study Handbooks, though they are helpful.
Not Small Group studies, though they are helpful.
Not Sermons from preachers (here's where I mentioned Piper, Osteen, and Stanley.)

I appreciate the question, because it could be intimated from the way I made my point that I consider the three men on the same 'level.'

I certainly try to obey the 'Steve Brown' rule and pick heroes who are dead... they are less prone to embarass you. I've found Piper to be a great inspiration, and thoughtful commentator, and a deep thinker. But... He's not the Word, and he would, I am sure, point us away from his own messages and encourage us to read the word.

I like Charles Stanley. Almost everyChristian knows who he is, and has listened to In Touch on the radio, or seen him on TV. He's everywhere. I like Piper's preaching style more, but he is a good man, with a good heart. But... He's not the Word, and he would, I am sure, point us away from his own messages and encourage us to read the word.

I've never heard a whole sermon by Joel Osteen, and I don't know the guy. I look at his church and the sinful voice inside of me says, "He can't be bringing the gospel with a church that big..." but I don't know. I do think some of his prosperity theology is dangerous (the idea that God wants you to be healthy and wealthy, and you can claim that in Christ), but like I've said, I don't know his teaching well enough to speak out about it. But... He's not the word, and while I don't know if he would point us away from his own messages and encourage us to read the word, I hope he would.

We're called to embrace Jesus. We are called to embrace His Word. Let's read the book first and foremost.

thanks for the question!

No comments: